24 November 2012

Archibald Hume [1796 - 1857], letter to his sister 1839 Pt. 1

On the 21st January this year I received an email from Ian Hume. This was about a letter from Archibald Hume [1796 -1857] to his sister Katherine Moffat nee Hume [1805 - 1898].

Ian is my “half 4th cousin once removed”. He had obtained the letter from Watson Glen Robb who is his “4th cousin” and my “half 4th cousin once removed”.

Before discussing the letter I thought it would be interesting to look at the way in which distant relations are described as I was not clear myself on the relationship between Ian, Watson and myself.

Ian and I have a common ancestor Robert Hume [1757 - 1828] my great (x4) grandfather. As a result we are “4th cousins”. However Robert Hume is Ian’s great (x3) grandfather and so we are “once removed”. I have included below a “cousins chart” or “table of consanguinity” that shows this graphically.

If one person's
Grand-parent
Great grand-parent
Great(x2) grand-parent
Great(x3) grand-parent
Great (x4) grand-parent
Is the other person’s
then they are
Grandparent
1st cousins
1st cousins once removed
1st cousins twice removed
1st cousins thrice removed
1st cousins four times removed
Great grandparent
1st cousins once removed
2nd cousins
2nd cousins once removed
2nd cousins twice removed
2nd cousins thrice removed
Great(x2) grandparent
1st cousins twice removed
2nd cousins once removed
3rd cousins
3rd cousins once removed
3rd cousins twice removed
Great(x3) grandparent
1st cousins thrice removed
2nd cousins twice removed
3rd cousins once removed
4th cousins
4th cousins once removed
Great (x4) grandparent
1st cousins four times removed
2nd cousins thrice removed
3rd cousins twice removed
4th cousins once removed
5th cousins
A "cousin chart", or "table of consanguinity"

Robert Hume married twice, first to Agnes Morton [1752 - 1797] my great (x4) grandmother and then to Catherine Dewar [1758 - 1843], Ian’s great (x3) grandmother. As a result we do not have the same maternal great grandmother. This is why we are only “half” 4th cousins once removed.

As both Ian and Watson are great (x3) grandsons of Robert Hume and also of Katherine Dewar they are 4th Cousins.

In my next post I will get onto the content of the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment